On September 9, Riga Food 2020 will reward the best Latvian beekeepers. "Riga Food" medals will be awarded to the winners of the competition "The Tastiest Honey 2020", which were determined at the "Latvian Beekeepers’ Summer Meeting 2020".
This year, only a panel of experts participated in the evaluation of the Tastiest Honey 2020 competition, for public tastings could not take place due to the restrictive measures of the COVID-19 pandemic, therefore visitors’ voting was missing.
A total of 41 honey samples were submitted. The experts gave ratings in three categories: light honey, dark honey and monofloral honey.
• Armands Krauze, Chairman of the Latvian Beekeepers Association (LBB),
• Ineta Eglīte, a researcher at LBB, veterinarian, studied honey sensory analysis in Bologna (Italy) and with the experts of National Honey Show (UK),
• Ričards Ivanovs, Chairman of the Latvian Association of Winegrowers and Winemakers, a wine evaluator,
• Evita Straumīte, Associate Professor of Food Technology at Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies, an expert sensory assessor,
• Sandris Akmans, a beekeeper, studied honey sensory analysis in Bologna (Italy) and with the experts of National Honey Show (UK),
• Jānis Vainovskis, a beekeeper, member of the LBB Board, producer of various types of monofloral honey and mixed honey products.
• Latvia’s Tastiest Honey 2020 in the category Light Honey
Lolita Rudzīte, Linden Honey Spring harvested in the Skrīveri Arboretum park
• Latvia’s Tastiest Honey 2020 in the category Dark Honey
Maija Malnača, Polyfloral Honey harvested in Viesīte municipality
• Latvia’s Tastiest Honey 2020 in the category Monofloral Honey
Ilze Grava-Niķe, Linden Honey harvested in Ēnas iela, Riga.